Attention Internet exporer users.

Attention Microsoft Internet Explorer Users: It has been brought to my attention that my blog isn't currently displaying properly using Microsoft Internet Explorer.

It seems the problem is related to the fact that my page is coded in CSS3, something which is apparently to advanced for IE to handle (*scoff*), but all other browsers handle it fine. I'm attempting to find alternative methods of coding, until then I would recommend contacting Mr B Gates, and requesting he update his software inline with the rest of the world !

I would suggest that anyone using IE who is having problems try using a different browser. Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Opera are all great browsers, and display my blog perfectly.


Appologies for any inconvenience.

About Me

My photo
Hello, my name is Mistress Winters, and I enjoy hypnotizing and corrupting innocent women. Controlling them and making them perform for my pleasure. I'm one messed up girl. But I'm lovely really. In my spare time I enjoy various art and craft projects. I also write a little.

Friday 26 February 2010

What makes someone a hypno-fetishist?

A question was asked recently on a comment on Lex and Liz's Blog, Dan(I've just discovered your blog as a result of this comment) asked: "I do wonder why more people don't do this sort of hypnosis. It is rather fun."

It's a good question. Why is hypnosis fetishism, or just hypnosis in sex, relationships, etc. such a niche interest, enjoyed by such a small minority of people?

As Dan rightly says, it certainly is fun! It also has the benefit of being something that can be enjoyed by anyone, in the comfort of their own home, and completely for free!

Hypnosis isn't exactly an unknown thing. It's been on tv in various forms for years, from the 90's stage shows of Paul Mckenna, to today's king of mind control Derren Brown. It's also well known in it's context of hypnotherapy. So if people know about hypnosis, and know what it can do, why don't more people think of it's other (more fun) potential applications?

The image of the evil hypnotist, or the hypnotic seductress has appeared in countless films and works of fiction for decades, and probably centuries. Even in (or perhaps particularly in) childrens films and programs... I'm sure you'll all be familiar with Kaa from the jungle book. So even from an early age the ideas are planted in people's minds... yet only a small number of people ever decide to try it for themselves...

So perhaps that leads to another question... "What makes someone a hypno-fetishist?...

What makes one person become interested in erotic hypnosis, when others aren't?. What is it that makes me (and if you are reading this, probably you as well) different from everyone else?

My theory is that the idea of possessing a 'special ability' that allows you to have advantages, or in fact power over other people, tends to appeal most to those people who feel like they are to some extent an outsider in society... perhaps on the lower rungs of the social ladder... they see hypnosis as a way of getting the things that they otherwise cannot. To look at it another way, if they could get these things in other ways, they probably wouldn't have ever thought of using hypnosis.

An analogy would be to compare hypno-fetishism to the appeal comic books about super heroes and villains, or fantasy stories and RPGs about magic and sorcery and epic battles, have with the geekier fringes of society. I must point out I say this as a massive geek myself, to quote family guy "that's our word! only we get to call ourselves that! not you!". The appeal is based around wanting a way of escaping your hum drum existence and be somebody, someone special, to rise up to the top that social ladder, perhaps to get above those you feel have previously enjoyed advantages over you, or kept you down.

Erotic Hypnosis, or some form hypnotic seduction, I think probably would appeal to those people who struggle with sex and relationships for one reason or another. It may be something that a larger number of people will think about, but for a lot of those, who might be happier with their love lives, the thoughts will just be in passing, and not something that they will actually do something about. It takes quite a strong desire to actively dedicate time and effort into finding, and studying the information required to act on that fantasy.

In my case I've suffered since my early teens with crippling shyness and anxiety, which meant I found it extremely difficult to find relationships. Coupled with the fact I wasn't much of a looker when I was young, and didn't start to blossom until my early 20s. There was also my confused sexuality. All this lead to me being very awkward around people in general, and even more so around those I was attracted to.

These factors eventually lead me to fantasizing about being able to hypnotize people and get those things that I'd been missing out on... for me, it was sex, pure and simple. I was a hormonal, frustrated teenager, who'd never been in love, never even kissed a girl, and felt like with my looks and awkward social skills, I probably never would. So my desire was indeed strong. I wanted to be able to snap my fingers like Paul mckenna, and have women swooning infront of me and be under my spell.

So when I got access to the internet (it was pretty new at the time) one of the first things I looked up was hypnosis. I wont go over it all again, but to read about my early ventures into hypnosis, check out this old blog entry. I suspect my story might chime some bells with others reading this too.

You only have to look at how (extortionately priced) hypnosis courses are marketed on the internet. There are countless sites selling products marketed as turning 'unconfident losers' into ultra confident pick up artists, using 'power words' and 'top secret language patturns' to hypnotically seduce their quarry. There are also similarly marketed courses designed for sales men to 'seduce' customers and 'turn words into cash!'... all directly marketed at those who feel like failures on the fringes of society. And of course the extortionate price is justified because of the 'powerful knowledge' that they contain, only adding to it's mystique and image as elite secret knowledge.

The truth is, should they have the inclination, anybody can find vast amounts of information about hypnosis online for free. Yes there are products out there (Anthony Jaqcuin's book is particularly good.) that are worth paying for, but they aren't and needn't be so expensive and elitist. The knowledge really is out there for anyone who wants it. But the image of elite, powerful, top secret knowledge, known only to a select few, is an alluring one. It feeds your desire to hold power over people, and gain advantages over the rest of the world.

So does the erotic hypnosis community want to stay in it's niche?... does it want to stay small and unknown? ...It's certainly easy to understand how having a 'power' that only a small number of people possess can be alluring, and how it's spread to a wider community might lessen it's appeal. Perhaps more people don't know about erotic hypnosis is because we as a community don't talk about it with the un-initiated. Of course I talk about it when I am wanting to introduce partners or potential partners to the idea... but have I ever spoken about it, or recommended it to someone else as something to try with people? I can't say I have. How would I feel if erotic hypnosis was more common in society, and more people practised it?... To be totally truthful, I probably wouldn't like it. Because just like the people who market these courses costing hundreds of dollars want me to, I like the idea that what I do is rare and that it in some way sets me above the rest of the world. And somewhat selfishly, I'd prefer it to stay that way. Am I alone in this? I suspect not.

There is also of course the more innocent reason of being afraid of talking about your fetish to those that don't know about it, for fear of being thought a weirdo or a pervert, and if you are an unconfident person to begin with, or someone that is used to rejection, that fear will be all the more real. So the reluctance to talk about it will be strong.

This is of course, mostly from the point of view of the hypnotist. The appeal of hypnosis to a subject will of course be different. I am unable to speak from direct experience here, but I suspect that for most, hypnosis is not so much a fetish in it's own right (though it could be for some I am sure), as an extension of a pre existing kink for submission. As a subject, you don't have to actively research or learn anything (though it could be said that going into a deep trance is something that you learn), what you need is a partner who possesses such skills themselves and the desire to use them in the way you want, something that is altogether more difficult to find. Also, I have a suspicion that if hypnosis was more commonly practised by people, to the point where most people dabbled in it, it's appeal to the submissive would be lessened. Just like it is for the hypnotist, I think the image of hypnosis as a mysterious and powerful thing only adds to it's allure for the submissive, and adds to the attraction of the hypnotist.

I wont focus too much on the submissive side of the equation, as I suspect as someone on the other side of the watch, I wouldn't really do it justice. I think though that it is in the nature of dominant and submissive roles, that the dominant is the one that would most likely initiate D/s activities in a relationship, and as such, outside of the enclosed communities found on the net, it is the hypnotist that would have to take the step of introducing new people to their kink. A step that as I outlined above, is one that most will for whatever reason be reluctant to take, much more so than with more common kinks.

It is therefore mostly down to individuals to seek out and discover the fetish on their own. But also as I describe above, the nature of hypnosis fetishism, is that it will only be a small minority of freaks, geeks, and misfits that will have a strong enough desire to actively do so.

So all things considered, it's unsurprising that the hypno-fetish community is so small, it's in it's very nature to be that way. Access to the internet has no doubt led to a greater number of people discovering it, but I can't see hypno-fetishism as we know it expanding beyond the dark corners of society any time soon.


~ Mistress Winters ~



10 comments:

  1. I think you're right about superheros. When I was younger I wasn't particularly unpopular at school, I had a good bunch of friends, but we were always labelled as being geeky virginal types compared to the self-styled 'in crowd' (Saying that, the in crowd all ended up sharing the same STDs, so it looks like we had the last laugh after all. :oP)

    As a teenager there's always a period though where labels will get to you, you'll worry that everyone else is sexier, happier, smarter and so on. And I can definitely empathise with the idea of being Clark Kent. In High School there's so many hormones flying around that you're practically tripping over unrequited love triangles, (not to mention the vastly more complex love hexagons, and love dodecahedrons.) and I was party to a couple of these. I was 'like a brother' to the girl of my 17 year old dreams, which as we all know is the death knell to the chances of there ever being any kind of sexy relationship occurring.

    At 17 or whenever it was, when I got to hypnotize my first subject, it was quite an epiphany. Here I was, geeky and single, but able to make this girl mate of mine think, feel and do pretty much anything I put my mind to. (Which back then was - perhaps surprisingly, considering the hormones involved - much more innocent than the majority of things I'll have my hypnotic playthings doing these days. ;o)

    Hypnosis became my super power, but because of my church background (Which depending where you look can either be nervous about hypnosis, or can outright tar it with the "EVIL!" brush because of it's usage by the likes of certain cults... rhymes with Briantology) and the way it's always been portrayed in the media: "Drugs are for losers, and hypnosis is for losers with big, weird eyebrows!", I didn't go round advertising my newfound abilities.

    I kept my super power mostly secret. It got mentioned to close friends, people I could trust not to knee-jerk at hearing about it, but it rarely got wheeled out for everyone to see. The one time I *did* try it out at a party, it was on a male friend who'd probably have been a good subject if he wasn't so drunk. As it was, trying to hypnotize him only made him feel disorientated and ill. :oP (Lesson learned *that* day, let me tell ya)

    Fortunately this was round about the time the internet started booming in the UK and I found new places to hone my abilities and an outlet for my new "powers", not sure what would have happened if I didn't get online when I did... I'd have probably exploded.

    A thought provoking post Mistress Winters. I think you are right though about the fact that we'd be less happy if *everyone* was hypnotizing each other, and I guess I'm glad that society's reaction *is* still mainly to knee-jerk at the prospect. It's fun to be the superhero (or evil genius), to be the guard of forbidden knowledge and feel people that want to experience this need to seek us out, rather than just picking it up because *everyone* knows how to do it.

    Anyway I'd best stop waffling... this is rapidly becoming a blogpost sized comment of my own. :oP

    Lex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is very insightful. I also personally identify with the "outsider" not being part of the group. However, recently I have been getting more involved so it will be an interesting test to see if interest in hypnosis wanes as my social circle increases. The lust for control that blossoms out of a lack of it in real life makes a lot of sense. And I wonder if once the seed is there, it's there for good, or if it is merely circumstantial

    I like most of your posts, but I found this to be by far the most interesting. I'd really like it if you added some more of these "insights into the minds of hypno-fetishists" posts.

    keep up the good work
    well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting post and one that has definitely got me thinking.

    It seems to me that hypnosis is a great amplifier of an individual's true nature or desires. If a person feels that something is or was missing from their life it would make sense that this secret life would be a way for it to come to the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chiming in to say that YES some of us sub types are kinked specifically toward hypnosis. Kaa, the snake from the "Jungle Book", made me feel... funny even when I was a tiny tiny child.

    That said, I don't attribute it to any major outside factors of the type you describe. It seems overly simplistic to say that I'm just wired that way, but that's at least how I feel about my hypno-subbish proclivities: they're just built in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comment Jannette, firstly because it's always nice to have new commenters and secondly because you are exactly the type of person who I was hoping to hear from after writing this blog i.e a hypnofetishist from the other side of the equation, a sub.

    I have spoken with the occasional sub who is kinked specifically towards hypnosis, but I could probably count them on one hand. I'm sure the net is full of them though. Most that I've spoken with haven't really given a thought to it until I or someone else introduced them to the idea. Those that have always had a thing for hypnosis are usually the ones who 'get it' most, and as such are rare and precious creatures.

    A whole other blog could be written about hypno-fetishism from the subs perspective, though I don't feel qualified to write it myself. I'd be very interested to read it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a very slow commenter and participant, but...

    If hypnosis were removed from your Mistress Toolbox, would you still identify as a domme? It wouldn't magically vanillify you, right? Hypnosis isn't part of my current arrangement, but it's not the only thing that pushes my submissive buttons.

    Assuming that that's the case-- that you'd lean dominant regardless-- the idea of hypno-kink as a way to compensate for some (perceived) shortcomings and social awkwardness just doesn't quite work. You want to snap your fingers and make the ladies (literally!) swoon; someone else might get the same rush out of tying women up in fancy spiderwebs. Does that mean Mr Ropes is also compensating for something? Like women would normally run away?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can definitely attest to being "aroused" as child by Kaa. In fact, it's because of that scene in the movie I started masturbating (although I had no idea what I was doing at the time). From then on, as a child, I would search and search for other hypnotism scenes which I found intriguing.

    This entire post makes me very interested in trying it...however, my dom. would have to be willing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I'm new to the blog and poking around, thus the late response. But I enjoyed this post and wanted to throw in my two cents. I, too, am a sub who is actually a hypnofetishist first and foremost. In fact, reacting to scenes of hypnosis were my first sexual experiences. While much of what you wrote rings true for me (in reverse, of course), some of my experience is different. Like you said, it's about control. In my case, it's about allowing myself to lose the control that I usually try so hard to hold onto in my daily life. And I think that translates to hypnosis because I want to escape my own overly-analytical thoughts more than anything. However, I don't think that desire would diminish if hypnosis were more common. For me, it's not the mystery of it -- it's the fact of it, and if a lot more people had that superpower, I'd be a very happy person indeed. :)

    Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @'nette

    Sorry for slow reply, it would seem I'm also a slow commenter lol

    If Hypnosis were removed from my tool box. I don't think I necessarily would still be domminant all the time. In non hypnotic relationships and situations, I've always considered myself switch. It's only really with hypnosis that I am 100% domme...

    I don't really know where that fits in with the theory, I'll let you decide.

    All I can say is that I'm certain my hypnokink was at least in part (a big part) spawned by my social awkwardness and short comings, and has in fact given me more confidence to over come those things. I accept that wont be the case with all dom/dommes but it certainly seems to fit with a lot of dominant hypnotists. The submissive mindset of course is a different matter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Katie

    Seeing your name and reading the first line of your comment gave me a funny feeling in my stomach, as I thought for a moment you might have been one of my exs. lol. Anyway, thank you for reading, and glad you enjoyed it.

    @dialformichele

    Hello and welcome to the blog :~) sorry for the late reply. Having spoken to a few subs since posting this blog, the things you have said seem to resonate with what most others have said.

    It's certainly something I have been thinking about and will factor into techniques I use in future.

    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Mistress Winters always loves it when you SUBMIT... comments that is.